Meet the Team: A Peek at our Favorite Things
Ever heard the saying, “You can learn a lot about a woman by the contents of her purse”? It makes sense—the things we always carry with us are little tattles. They tell about about our priorities, our compulsions, and how we want to grow. Not to mention our strange quirks!
Here’s a look at the Gardenuity team members’ favorite things. Because ultimately, it’s the little things that count. And what better way to get to know someone than by the things they can’t live without?
DONNA LETIER, co-founder & CEO
- Scrunchies. Despite pleas from my daughter and despite the fact that they’re no longer an acceptable fashion accessory (were they ever?), I’ve never stopped wearing them.
- Phone. Being able to connect quickly with my family is a must. With my phone, Jillian’s caregivers can find me ASAP. Plus, quick chats with family—even if it’s for 15 seconds—keeps me going through the day.
- iPad. I love to read, learn, and keep in touch. I keep my books, music, and avenues of communication on my iPad for quick access.
- Anigian sunscreen. Sun-freckles look cute on a kid, but not so much on an adult. I’m exposed to direct sunlight all the time, so I always carry sunscreen with me!
- Gardenuity hand cream. When you play in the dirt every day, you wash your hands more than most. I always have a high quality, good-smelling hand cream on hand. The Gardenuity one absorbs really well!
- Notebook. Old-fashioned pencil and paper. You never know when you’ll have a great idea, concept, or thought.
- Evian water. Doesn’t taste quite as good as chocolate, but it’s certainly healthier. Carrying it around keeps me hydrated!
JULIE EGGERS, co-founder & COO
- Wedding ring. This is the only piece of jewelry that I almost never take off. I’ve been wearing it joyfully for almost 28 years now!
- Water bottle. The image on it is a Starbucks Venti Iced Tea. It was a gift from Donna years ago, and it reminds me of my favorite iced tea (even though I only drink water from it).
- Bible. It’s been annotated by hand—mine and my husband’s—with the wisdom of Dr. Bill Power over the course of 25 years. It’s an irreplaceable treasure!
- Numbers. Oh, so many numbers. They’re always running around my head—family phone numbers, birthdays, anniversaries, addresses. And then there’s the memorized MasterCard number…
- Lipstick and a pair of earrings. These are the go-to accessories I take with me literally everywhere. Don’t even try to take a picture of me without my lipstick.
Sharpened Ticonderoga #2 pencil. Is there a better writing instrument on the planet?
BRIE ARTHUR, VP of horticulture
- Charleston Shoe Company shoes. Perfect for garden touring and nursery visits. They’re fashionable, fun, and machine-washable!
- Okastune pruners. These are always nearby when I’m spending time in my foodscape. Best pruners ever.
- Sunscreen. When you spend as much time outside in the garden as me, it’s a must.
- Maui Jim’s sunglasses. They protect my eyes from the bright sunshine, and I squint less, which reduces wrinkles.
Camera/iPhone. I have to capture all the delights of spring somehow.
CHELSEA RABROKER, merchandise manager
- Wedding band. I’ve been married for a little over a year now, and I love my band as if I got married yesterday. It reminds me how lucky I am to have such a kind and supportive husband.
- Aggie ring. It’s incredibly important to me, and I wear it always. I was the first in my immediate family to graduate from university.
- Leatherology Journal. It was a gift from my husband. I never know when I’ll need to jot down an idea!
- Young Living Essential Oils. My favorites are lemon, stress away, and lavender. I add lemon to my water and breathe in stress away when I take a quick walk to clear my head.
Kombucha. My favorite flavor is the Cayenne Cleanse!
MEGHAN PEOPLES, customer service representative
- Journal and Pens. My mind is always racing with thoughts and images, so having a way to record them is essential. With a journal on hand, a waiting room becomes a self-indulgent retreat!
- Healthy Snack. If I don’t prep healthy choices, I’ll eat anything and everything. I joke that I eat like a squirrel—constantly and mostly nuts & berries.
- Lip Balm and Color. If I could only take one item to a desert island, this would be it. It’s my makeup essential.
- Brita Water Bottle with Filter. I’ve seen what city water can do to plants—tap water is sometimes so salty that tropical plants die in three weeks. And, if I’m drinking it…? The filter gives me some peace of mind.
Peppermint. Gum, mints, or essential oil…whatever form, peppermint is a must-have. It helps with bad breath, memory, stress-relief, upset stomachs, and headaches.
TAYLOR MAHALIK, creative visual lead
- Black Growler. I got this large growler last summer at a brewery, and now it’s my water bottle of choice—especially since I try to avoid drinking from plastic.
- Suavs Shoes. I’m all about comfort and ease—especially if I’m photographing. These go with everything!
- Laptop. I’m a loyal Apple consumer (probably to a fault). My lightweight Macbook lets me take my office anywhere.
- Outdoor Voices Set. I’m guilty of living in athleisure on the weekend, and this is one of my favorite sets. From a morning yoga flow to an afternoon coffee date, it’s rare to spot me without these on.
Sony Headphones. Music is a girl’s best friend when editing photos. I blast my favorite tunes through these bad boys when I need to be productive.
HUDSON TOWNES, social media manager
- Instax Camera. Polaroids are my favorite way to capture a moment. You have one chance to take a photo, and you can’t waste any time.
- AirPods. These are literally always on me, whether I’m listening to music, podcasts, or chatting on the phone.
- Planner. I keep my schedule in my phone so I can share events with friends, but I always have to write everything down on paper.
- Rayban Aviators. I’m a bit of a sunglasses connoisseur, but these go with everything. They’re always in my bag in case I need them and suit whatever I’m wearing.
Chapstick and Lipgloss. I’m not huge on makeup, but I love a little bit of lip color!
CORINNE LOHNER, writer
- A Good Read. I always carry a good book on me—you never know when you’ll have time to spare. Besides, it makes subway rides bearable.
- Day Planner. Maybe it’s old-fashioned, but I like to keep track of my to-dos and calendar on paper.
- Hair-ties. I can never decide whether I want my hair up, down, or braided…so I keep my options open.
- Diet Coke. I know, I know. It’s the worst habit ever, but I just can’t give it up. I don’t drink coffee, so this keeps me moving and grooving.
- Lip Balm. Always, always, always on hand.
Things don’t make you happy, but they certainly help. Overall, we try to create happy lives full of growth and the little things in our lives are part of how we achieve that. So what are the things you can’t live without?